Dating in little rock ar
Even before the state seceded, the Little Rock Arsenal had been seized by volunteers from several counties to prevent it from falling under federal control.
Civil War through Reconstruction During the war, activity in Little Rock ground to a halt.
A cannon named “Lady Baxter” was placed on the lawn of the Old Statehouse, and both sides called up troops. Post Reconstruction through the Gilded Age Both the University of Arkansas School of Medicine (now the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences) and the first telephone exchange opened in Little Rock in 1879.
Electric service was introduced in 1883, and in 1887, the first streets in Little Rock were paved with cobblestone.
The Quapaw, members of a group of Dhegiha-Siouan-speaking tribes which also includes the Osage, resided in southeast Arkansas in the late seventeenth century and continued to live primarily along the Arkansas River until they were forced to leave in 1824.
On April 9, he made note of "rocks sticking out of the ground," referencing the first rock up the river, but he did not name it.
A minor skirmish at Little Rock in late 1864 provided Union forces with further intelligence.
At the end of the war, Little Rock, which had a population of 3,727 in 1860, built a cemetery on Confederate Boulevard (now Springer Street) to inter the remains of 2,000 Confederate and 2,000 Union soldiers. troops were moved from the Little Rock Arsenal to downtown on April 20, 1874.
La Harpe was more enthusiastic when it came to what he called the French Rock—"le Rocher Français"—the "bluff of mountainous rock" up the bend and north of the river, now called the Big Rock.
The French called the smaller outcropping on the south bank "le Petit Rocher" (the little rock), with the name first showing up on a map in 1799.